Students waiting Monday morning outside of Copperas Cove High School (Photo courtesy of Kimberly Ingram)
COPPERAS COVE (December 17, 2012)—New security measures were tight as Copperas Cove students returned to class Monday after a three-day unscheduled break that resulted from a series of nine bomb threats that forced school evacuations.
The new measures delayed the start of the school day at Copperas Cove High School because of the pace of the security checks.
The district asked students not to bring any items to school that aren’t related to class work.
“In order to create the safest environment possible, CCISD has partnered with Copperas Cove police and fire departments as well as staff from Fort Hood,” Superintendent Joe Burns said in a letter to parents.
“As a result of these partnerships, school will be conducted very differently this upcoming week,” he said.
The district isn’t providing specifics about the new security measures, but a spokeswoman said things were going slowly Monday at the high school because it was the first time the system had been used.
The district also brought in additional counselors Monday to help students deal with the new security processes and the recent spate of bomb threats.
Also, the district advised parents Monday that classes will be released two hours early on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Friday was already scheduled as an early release day.
The district announced last Wednesday it was cancelling classes at all of its schools through Friday after the threats, the first of which was discovered on December 4.
The threats targeted the high school, Copperas Cove Junior High School and S. C. Lee Junior High School.
Authorities have made eight arrests in connection with threats and the reward for information leading to arrests and prosecutions has been increased to $3,000.