PLANO (February 27, 2014) An elderly Plano man died early Thursday morning after reentering a burning home in the Dallas suburb to retrieve a cell phone with which to call 911 to report the fire.
The three adults who lived in the house all escaped safely after the fire broke out, but then two of them went back inside to get their cell phones.
One came back out, but the other didn’t.
Fire officials emphasized Thursday that people should never go back into a burning home or building.
They said fire and smoke conditions quickly change and a fast-moving fire and toxic smoke can quickly incapacitate a person.
The fire is under investigation.