The three girls, ages 2, 4 and 4-months, died in the mobile home fire Tuesday night. (Courtesy photo/KBTX-TV)
CONCORD (January 23, 2013)--Three children were killed Tuesday night after their mobile home caught fire in Concord in rural Leon County.
“Our first instinct is to always save lives,” said Marquez firefighter, Mark Wacasey, who helped battle the fire Tuesday night.
“But we didn't make it this time."
The fire swept through the mobile home, as the family of five slept.
“When we got here the mobile home was pretty much fully engulfed except for the back of it," Wacasey said.
Tammy and Ray Fulton told authorities they could barely breathe after thick black smoke filled the master bedroom Tuesday night.
As the two rushed out of the room, first responders said, powerful flames hindered their efforts to rescue their three girls who were sleeping in a bedroom at the front of the home.
“Everybody suited up and we had people prepared to go inside,” Wacasey said.
“We couldn't get in there [front bedroom] with all the flames,” Wacasey said.
When they did finally reach the room, firefighters found the girls, ages 2, 4 and 4-months, dead.
“We had it under control in about 15 or 20 minutes and then it took a couple of hours to make sure everything was put out,” Wacasey said.
“We just didn’t get there in time to save the girls.”
Neighbors, relatives, and the grieving parents watched Wednesday as state fire marshals and Leon County sheriff's investigators scoured the smoldering scene, trying to figure out how the deadly fire started.
“I have two children myself, and I couldn't imagine,” Wacasey said..
“It’s so hard to imagine if you’re not going through it, but this mother and the whole family, they’re going through a real hard time right now,” he said.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family and an account has been set up at Wells Fargo Bank to help the family with funeral expenses under the name “Fulton Girls.”
The deposit number is: 1494976465.