Family Shares Memories Of Loved Ones Lost In Tragic Fire

By  | 

WACO (February 20, 2012)-Tommy Megginson experienced his worst nightmare last week when his two young children died in a mobile home fire.

"I still haven't comprehended it, and it's going to take awhile," said Megginson.

His two children, Madisyn Marie Megginson, 4, Gage Megginson, 8-months and their mother Ashley Dawn Rogers died in the blaze Thursday night.

Megginson's son Kaiden, 2, who was rescued from the flames, was released from the hospital over the weekend.

" [I'm] Just really happy that he's alive and he made it," said Megginson.

Rogers had two children from an earlier marriage with Darren Bartini.

"Each day that goes by, I think it sinks in a little bit more, especially with the younger ones," said Bartini.

The two families set up a donation account at Members Choice Federal Credit Union in Waco.

They need help paying for the funeral, and said any additional money raised will go to Ashley's surviving children.

So far, Waco Fire Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigators have found "no glaring signs of foul play" in the search for the cause of the blaze which left a third child, four Waco firefighters and a neighbor injured.

Waco police detectives are also indicating "they have no obvious signs of foul play at this point," an update issued Saturday said, but authorities cautioned, "it is very early in an ongoing investigation."

The deadly fire broke out at around 6:30 p.m. last Thursday in the mobile home at 6312 N. 19th Street in Bosqueville.

The heat from the fire was so intense that four Waco firefighters suffered second-degree burns when they tried to enter the burning mobile home in an attempt to reach the woman, a girl and an infant trapped inside, Assistant Fire Chief Don Yeager said.

Three of the firefighters, one who suffered first-degree steam burns, another suffered second-degree steam burns and a third who suffered heat exhaustion, were taken to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center.

They were all treated and released.

The fourth firefighter was treated at the scene for heat exposure burns.

"I have been told the officers are doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances and would like to thank those of you that have shown a great deal of concerns for their well being," Waco Police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said in the update Saturday.

The most seriously injured of the firefighters may be off the job for about a week, but officials said emotional wounds may take longer to heal.

Counseling will be available for those who need help coping with the three deaths.

Before firefighters arrived, neighbor Bobby Cale was able to crawl through the backdoor of the mobile home and pull a 2-year-old boy to safety, Cale's mother said.

Kaiden, who neighbors said is 3 rather than 2, was taken to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center and then was flown to Scott and White Children's Hospital.

After rescuing the toddler, Bobby Cale and his brother Bailey attempted to break through a trailer wall to reach the other occupants, their mother said Friday, but they were unsuccessful, their mother said.

Bailey Cale was taken to Hillcrest for treatment of smoke inhalation and remained in the hospital Friday, his mother said.

Rogers' boyfriend, B. J. Walker, told News 10 Friday he left to take a walk some time before the fire started.

He said when he returned the mobile home was in flames.

Crystal Kerns, whose lives nearby, said Friday she heard the mother and children screaming from inside the burning trailer and tried to reach them, but was driven back by the flames.

She said she used her hands in an unsuccessful attempt to break out a window.