TEXAS CITY (January 13, 2014) A woman from Montana who was visiting relatives in Texas City was electrocuted Sunday night when she picked up a lamp that was sitting on the damp ground outside a home, authorities say.
Galveston County Fire Marshal Dennis Harris said the victim, whose name and hometown weren't immediately released, was barefoot in the wet yard, where the lamp was being used.
The lamp was connected to an extension cord that plugged into a socket inside the house, Harris said.
The woman was electrocuted when she touched the lamp, he said.
After the accident, inspectors found that the electrical work was not up to code at the house, which had several additions.
Harris had electricity to the house cut off after the deadly accident.
He said the wiring must meet code requirements before power will be restored.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.