Woman Killed After Home Invasion Once Wanted To Be A Deputy

Tarrie Lynn Byrom after an arrest in August. (Jail photo/file)
By  | 

WACO (October 31, 2013) Tarrie Lynn Byrom, 28, who was killed after taking part in a violent home-invasion robbery in Waco, was a mother of four who once aspired to be a sheriff’s deputy until she began using drugs, according to relatives.

Byrom was found dead early Tuesday morning outside a North Waco home near the Cameron Park Zoo.

Hours earlier, just after midnight Tuesday morning, Byrom and three men forced their way into the apartment of a 19-year-old man at 2742 Madison Dr., Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said.

The victim knew Byrom and was able to identify her, Swanton said.

The three men hit the victim in the head and body with their fists and a handgun and then bound him with tape before continuing the attack, Swanton said.

Then Byrom and the three men gathered up property from the apartment and fled, Swanton said.

Byrom and one of the men were seen leaving in the victim's 2007 Ford pickup truck.

Officers found her body and the stolen pickup truck about three hours after the robbery after responding to a report of gunfire in the 500 block of Sedwick Avenue.

She died of gunshot and stab wounds to the torso, police said.

Byrom was born Tarrie Lynn Ready on Sept. 17, 1985 in Waco.

Her parents divorced when she was a child, her mother, Diane Stone, said Thursday, and Byrom ended up living with her father in Gatesville where she attended high school and later married Chase Byrom on March 30, 2001.

The couple had three children.

Chase Byrom said in a message to News 10 Thursday he remembers her as an amazing person.

While they were living in Gatesville, Tarrie Byrom worked as a dispatcher for the sheriff’s office in neighboring Hamilton County and hoped one day to become a deputy, he said.

But five years into their marriage, the two separated and after that things began to change for her, he said.

The court awarded custody of their three children, now 11, 10 and 5, to Chase Byrom.

Tarrie Byrom moved to Waco where she met Jack McCarter IV, whom she married in February 2012, county records show, even though she was still legally married to her first husband.

She and McCarter had one child, who just turned 1, relatives said.

Just weeks after the baby’s birth, Waco police arrested her on a minor theft charge and she had another minor run-in with the law in May 2012.

Then in September 2012 Woodway police arrested her on a bigamy charge.

The relatives to whom News 10 talked say they didn’t realize that her divorce from her first husband had not been finalized at the time she married McCarter.

Three months later, on Dec. 5, 2012, she and McCarter were arrested and charged in connection with a series of auto burglaries during which one vehicle was set on fire, police records show.

She pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor burglaries and was sentenced to 150 days in county jail, McLennan County District Attorney's records show.

The next month, in January, she was indicted for arson in connection with the vehicle fire and for bigamy.

Neither of those cases ever made it to court, records show.

McCarter pleaded guilty to the auto burglaries, arson, possession of a firearm by a felon, theft of a firearm, credit card abuse, and theft.

He’s now serving a prison sentence.

He’s eligible for parole in January 2014, court records show.

His wife will be laid to rest Saturday in Robinson after a service at 10 a.m. at Pecan Grove Funeral Home.

"She was rescued by God Tuesday morning when she died," Byrom's grandmother Rita Stone said Thursday.