Woman Now Charged With Attempted Capital Murder In Attempt To Kill Children

Rametria Barnes (Jail photo)

HARKER HEIGHTS (February 21, 2013)—Rametria Barnes, 30 of Harker Heights, who was arrested in August 2012 after authorities said she tried to kill herself and her two children, was back in the Bell County Jail Thursday named in an upgraded complaint charging attempted capital murder.

Barnes was originally charged with injury to a child, but was indicted in November 2012 on the upgraded charge.

Harker Heights officers arrested her Wednesday, but it's not clear why she wasn't re-arrested after the indictment was handed up in November.

Officials contacted by News 10 either didn't know or wouldn't comment on the delay.

Barnes was ordered held in lieu of $100,000 bond, according to online jail records.

The original arrest warrant affidavit says Barnes wrote a suicide note and texted both a friend and her husband saying she was going to kill herself and her two children, ages 1 and 6.

Officers were sent to the family’s home at 1904 Deer Field Way in Harker Heights on Aug. 17, 2012 where they first saw a woman walking in the yard who was carrying a young child, the affidavit says.

After speaking briefly with officers, the woman went back inside the home.

A short time later, the officers spoke with another woman who told them she had gotten a text from Barnes that included a picture of Barnes and her two children inside a car that was in the garage of the home.

When officers went to the garage they found the door closed, but could hear a vehicle running inside.

After police banged on the garage door, Barnes opened the home’s front door and officers asked her to let them into the garage, the affidavit said.

After police went through the kitchen and opened an inside garage door, they found a car in the garage with its motor running and a child closed inside, the affidavit said.

While police still were at the scene, Barnes husband arrived and told them he had received a similar text message from his wife that said she intended to kill herself and the two children.

Officers found a suicide note on a table inside the residence and as well as detailed instructions about how to deal with her and the children’s remains and funeral plans.

Barnes posted a $100,000 bond on the injury to a child charge on Aug. 20, 2012 and was released from jail.