Randy Travis (File)
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (July 15, 2013)--Country music star Randy Travis, 54, was awake and making progress Monday as he recovers from surgery following a stroke, according to a news release and video from The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano.
Travis will remain in the hospital for two to three more weeks before he’s transferred to another facility where he will undergo aggressive physical therapy.
Doctors say it will take months to recover from the stroke, which he suffered last Wednesday.
He remains on a ventilator, but is breathing spontaneously and his breathing support is gradually being reduced as he interacts with his family and friends and begins the early stages of physical therapy, doctors said.
Doctors Monday revealed new information about his health troubles—scarring on his heart.
The Grammy Award-winning was in good health until three weeks before he was hospitalized on July 7 in congestive heart failure because of what doctors at the time said was a viral respiratory illness he contracted.
Travis was admitted to Baylor Medical Center in McKinney with “presumptive cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure,” said Dr. William Gray, the director of cardiovascular services at Baylor Medical Center at McKinney.
“He had been in previously excellent health until three weeks prior when he developed a viral upper respiratory illness,” Gray said.
On July 8, Gray and Dr. Michael Mack, the director of cardiovascular disease at the Baylor Health Care System in Dallas, decided to transfer Travis to the Heart Hospital Baylor Plano.
Cardiomyopathy can lead to heart failure.
Treatments range from medications and surgically implanted devices to heart transplants.