MIAMI (August 16, 2013)--A 7-month-old Florida boy has died after swallowing a liquid laundry packet and the state’s Poison Information Center says this is the first death since the first reported exposure case in May 2012.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers says national data for this year have not yet been compiled, but this kind of poisoning death has not been reported in prior years.
Police in Kissimmee, Fla., said the boy was taken from a shelter for abused women Friday afternoon to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
More than 5,700 children younger than 5 were exposed to the chemicals in the concentrated packets so far this year, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
No deaths were reported before 2012, the most recent records available, and when the bright blue-and-red packets first came on the market.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.