PITTSBURGH (May 24, 2012)--A cafeteria worker at Pittsburgh's federal office building is being treated for possible flesh-eating bacteria, but health officials said those who also work or eat at the facility aren’t at risk.
The Allegheny County Health Department and the General Services Administration, which runs the Moorhead Federal Building, said the worker was evidently infected when he was cut during outdoor activity.
The man, who was not identified because of patient confidentiality rules, was being tested for the bacteria at Jefferson Regional Medical Center.
The man is about 30 and is being treated with an intensive regimen of antibiotics.
Health officials said the man faces possible amputation if the antibiotics don't work or the infection spreads.
The bacteria that cause the condition are common, but only some people are susceptible to developing the flesh-eating infection.