DAKAR, Senegal (September 3, 2014) A doctor who’s ill with Ebola in southern Nigeria exposed dozens of people to the virus by treating patients before his death, the World Health Organization said Wednesday.
Nigerian officials had believed that Ebola was largely contained after a traveler from Liberia brought the disease into the country, but one man who had contact with the ill visitor evaded surveillance and triggered a second cluster of cases in Port Harcourt.
The WHO said Wednesday that a doctor there is now dead and his wife has Ebola symptoms.
Some 60 other people are under surveillance after having "high-risk" or "very high-risk" contact with the infected doctor.
Nigeria's Ebola toll so far has been limited in comparison to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea where hundreds have died in each country from the disease.
Meanwhile Wednesday, Tom Kenyon of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said during a telephone briefing with reporters that the disease is spreading faster than health workers can keep up with it.
The world has the tools to stop the outbreak, and they just have to be put in place, he said.
Kenyon says more treatment centers are being opened, and that he will be talking with the African Union about sending more health workers.
The World Health Organization says at least $600 million is needed to fight the outbreak, which has now killed more than 1,900 people.
The agency says the top priority is providing protective gear to health workers in the affected areas.