DIETRICH, Idaho (October 9, 2013)--An Idaho boy is home from the hospital after a terrifying battle with a flesh-eating bacteria that doctors feared would kill him.
Slade Dill, an eighth-grader at Dietrich School near Twin Falls, Idaho, was playing tag on Sept. 18 at school when he cut his knee.
The cut initially appeared to be "no big deal," but became far worse as Slade's leg began to swell, and CT scans showed the infection had spread to his abdomen and chest.
Doctors quickly flew him to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, where he was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis.
A runner, Slade could have lost his leg, but doctors didn't amputate because they didn't expect him to live.
Slade defied their expectations and is projected to make a complete recovery.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.