HAGERSTOWN, Md. (October 22, 2012)—The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Monday it's investigating reports of five deaths and a non-fatal heart attack linked to highly caffeinated Monster Energy Drinks.
The agency acknowledged the adverse reports Monday, but FDA spokeswoman Shelly Burgess said they don't prove that the drinks caused the deaths.
The news comes after a wrongful death suit was filed last week in California by the parents of a 14-year-old, Hagerstown, Md., girl who died after drinking two 24-ounce Monster Beverage Corp. drinks in 24 hours.
An autopsy concluded she died of cardiac arrhythmia from caffeine toxicity.
She had an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels.
Monster says it doesn't believe its products caused any deaths.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.