Jury: Doctor Not Liable For Patient Who Caught On Fire

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (October 27, 2012)--A jury has decided that a Syracuse, N.Y., doctor isn't to blame for an operating-room mishap that caused a pregnant woman to catch fire during a cesarean section delivery.

Kira Reed suffered a 7-inch-long burn on her side two years ago when an alcohol-based antiseptic that had been applied to her skin was accidentally ignited by a medical device.

The fire was put out quickly and her baby was fine, but she sued over the injury.

Reed reached an out-of-court settlement with the hospital, but The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that a jury rejected a negligence claim this week against obstetrician Stephen Brown.

Brown's lawyer says the jury's decision was appropriate.

Surgical fires are rare, but do happen occasionally when hot devices touch disinfectant solutions before the alcohol has a chance to evaporate.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 176099981