New Teen Food Fad Could Have Serious Health Consequences

CHICAGO (April 22, 2013)--The latest food fad known as the cinnamon challenge involves swallowing a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water, but the attempt could lead to a hospital stay and even cause permanent damage.

Doctors warn in a new report that the stunt is dangerous.

While a light sprinkle of cinnamon enhances some foods, the spice is caustic and trying to gulp it down can cause choking, throat irritation, breathing trouble and even collapsed lungs.

Cinnamon is made from tree bark and contains cellulose fibers that don't easily break down.

In fact, animal research suggests cinnamon in the lungs can cause scarring.

A report in Pediatrics says at least 30 teens needed medical attention last year.

The number of poison control center calls rose from 51 in 2011 to 222 last year.

Doctors say people with asthma or other respiratory conditions are at even greater risk.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 204160781 - kwtx.com/a?a=204160781
Gray Television, Inc.