SACRAMENTO, Calif. (July 30,2013)—Natalie Giorgi, 13, who had a peanut allergy, died after taking a bite of a treat at a family summer camp in Sacramento, Calif.
Giorgi died Saturday at Camp Sacramento after ingesting a Rice Krispies treat made with peanuts, even after her parents administered multiple doses of medicine, sheriff’s officials said.
A family friend said Giorgi spit out the treat right away after tasting peanuts and then called her parents, who gave her a dose of Benadryl and monitored her condition.
Twenty minutes later she developed trouble breathing so her father, a doctor, administered injections of epinephrine three times before her respiration stopped.
Laryngeal edema, or a swelling in the throat, was cited as the cause of death, officials said.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.