NEW YORK (January 28, 2013)--At 16 people in five states have been sickened by salmonella food poisoning linked to ground beef, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
No one has died, but half of those who were sickened were hospitalized.
Most of the illnesses were reported in Michigan, but a few cases were found in Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin, as well.
Seven people ate a raw ground beef dish called kibbeh last month at a suburban Detroit restaurant that wasn't identified.
Health officials said consumers should not eat uncooked meat.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the cases have been linked to last week's recall of more than 1,000 pounds of ground beef from two Michigan businesses, Troy-based Gab Halal Foods and Sterling Heights-based Jouni Meats.