MILL VALLEY, Calif. (January 5, 2013)--Two residents of a senior care center in Mill Valley, Calif., died after an outbreak of a gastrointestinal virus that sickened nearly 60 people at the facility.
The norovirus outbreak began just before Christmas and has afflicted residents and employees at The Redwoods facility in Mill Valley.
Public Health Officer Matthew Willis said the virus may have contributed to the death of the two residents who were at least 86 years old and had "significant pre-existing conditions."
Officials say another six people were taken to the hospital after falling ill from the contagious virus, which causes flu-like symptoms for 24 to 48 hours.
Marin County officials say the Redwoods outbreak follows an outbreak at San Rafael retirement home that sickened 27 people in November.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.