SACRAMENTO, Calif. (November 11, 2012)--Two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility died and four others were hospitalized after eating soup containing wild mushrooms, authorities said.
Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee that Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, both residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis, Calif., died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.
Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed said the caregiver who prepared the soup was among those people who were sickened.
The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.
Reed says after deputies were called to the facility Friday they determined the incident was an accident.
The incident is being investigated by the California Department of Social Services, the agency that licenses senior care facilities.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.