Wild Mushrooms Leave 2 Dead, 4 Sick In Assisted Living Facility

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (November 11, 2012)--Two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility died and four others were hospitalized after eating soup containing wild mushrooms, authorities said.

Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee that Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, both residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis, Calif., died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.

Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed said the caregiver who prepared the soup was among those people who were sickened.

The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.

Reed says after deputies were called to the facility Friday they determined the incident was an accident.

The incident is being investigated by the California Department of Social Services, the agency that licenses senior care facilities.

KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 178639931 - kwtx.com/a?a=178639931
Gray Television, Inc.