WACO (September 26, 2013)—Waco firefighters were using foam to douse a swarm of bees Thursday near a school in South Waco.
Police, fire and EMS units were sent to 718 S. 24th Street at about 12:15 p.m. after workmen disturbed a beehive while demolishing an old garage, Waco police Sgt. Patrick W. Swanton said.
Swanton said two firefighters had been stung, one of the workmen, Kris Hogg and a neighbor were stung.
Police were worried about children's exposure to the bees because Bells Hill Elementary School sits only a couple of blocks away.
Swanton said police were in the area making sure the children stayed inside the school building while firefighters tried to settle the bees down.
“It’s just precautionary but I told the school people they should probably bring the kids inside from the playground because you don’t know if the bees might move over there,” Swanton said.
A professional bee keeper also was called to the scene to help subdue the swarm, Swanton said.