Fire Leaves Family Of Seven Homeless

Crews from several area departments battled a fire that gutted a house Wednesday afternoon, leaving a family of seven homeless.

(Photo by John Carroll)

MART (February 13, 2013)--Two adults and five children were left homeless Wednesday after fire raced through their house in Mart.

No one was injured, but the fire gutted the one-story frame house.

Firefighters responded after noon Wednesday to the house at 311 North Falls St. in Mart and quickly called for assistance from nearby departments.

Units from Riesel, Axtell, Prairie Hill, Leroy and Bellmead were dispatched to help.

Two volunteers from Downsville also pitched in.

Firefighters couldn’t save the house, but did manage to keep the flames from spreading to nearby homes.

Rodney Brown, his daughter and her five children, ages 6 to 16, lived in the house, but no one was home at the time of the fire.

It appears the fire started at the back of the house near a newly installed stove, firefighters said.

KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 191072581 -
Gray Television, Inc.