The leak was discovered in an alley in downtown Gatesville. (Photo by Paul J. Gately)
GATESVILLE (February 27, 2013)—The Gatesville Boys and Girls Club remained closed Wednesday, a day after natural gas leaking from a line in an alley began to fill the building.
The gas line problem hasn’t been completely repaired and the building has not been cleared, Director Judy Hudson said Wednesday.
The club notified Gatesville schools and the parents of the children who usually go there after school.
Hudson said she’s hopeful the club will reopen Thursday.
The club is in the process of constructing a new building in the 2600 block of Main Street and she says she hopes to move by mid-summer.
Firefighters were sent at around 4 p.m. Tuesday to the alley in the 200 block of South 7th Street after the leak was discovered, Gatesville fire Chief Billy Vaden said.
The Boys and Girls Club building is on the south side of the alley and a law office is on the opposite side.
Vaden said Atmos crews discovered the leaking natural gas had migrated under the walls and through the floor of the Boys and Girls Club building where about 80 children were playing after school.
The children were immediately evacuated to an area a safe distance away while firefighters cleared the building of fumes.
Then as Atmos crews began to search for the gas line break, they dug through an adjacent water line, which left at least a few downtown buildings without water service.
No one was hurt, but South 7th Street was closed while firefighters and Atmos workers worked to find the leak.
Vaden said most of the gas that accumulated in the area had dissipated, but said fire crews would remain on scene until Atmos workmen had finished their task.