Landmark Central Texas Bar And Grill Burns To The Ground

By: Paul J. Gately Email
By: Paul J. Gately Email
(Photo courtesy of Candace Velvin, The Cameron Herald)

(Photo courtesy of Candace Velvin, The Cameron Herald)

CAMERON (October 25, 2012)--The Longhorn Bar and Grill burned to the ground Wednesday afternoon in Cameron and the debris still was smoldering Thursday morning, the fire chief said.

Cameron Fire Chief Henry Horelica said firefighters were sent at around 3:45 Wednesday to the 306 South Columbus and the first units on the scene reported flames coming from the front of the building and plumes of heavy smoke throughout.

Horelica said his department had two pumpers, both with deck nozzles, on the building throughout he fight but it still took more than seven hours to control the flames.

Firefighters initially planned to enter the building, but the roof began caving in and that effort was thwarted, Horelica said.

Firefighters from Rockdale and Milano were sent to the scene to provide additional manpower.

The building first saw use as the Knights of Columbus Hall and later an addition provided a bowling alley.

The business later was sold to the present owners who opened the Longhorn Bar and Grill.

The building was in use when the fire started, but no one was there at the time.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175793481