TEMPLE (January 5, 2013)—Fire and Rescue crews responded to a fire Friday evening at a home on the 800 block of South 19th Street.
When firefighters arrived on scene smoke and flames were coming from the roof at the rear of the home.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly.
An investigation determined the fire was started from shorted electrical wiring in the attic.
The occupant was watching television when he smelled smoke and discovered sparks coming from the ceiling in the kitchen.
He then tried to put the fire out using a fire extinguisher, but was unsuccessful.
The adult and four children safely escaped the fire and are now staying with relatives.
Fire damage was limited to the attic and kitchen. Damages are estimated to be around $10,000.
The home did not have a smoke detector.