Lighter Started Fire That Sent 6 To Local Hospital

A preschooler who was playing with a cigarette lighter started a fire that displaced eight residents and sent six of them including three children to a Temple hospital Tuesday.

(Temple Fire & Rescue photo)

TEMPLE (May 13, 2014) A fire that was started by a preschooler who was playing with a cigarette lighter Tuesday morning destroyed a manufactured home and sent six of the eight residents to a Temple hospital, Temple Fire & Rescue spokesman Thomas Pechal said.

The fire was reported just after 10:15 a.m. Tuesday in the 3700 block of Kimi Lane.

Heavy smoke was coming from the rear of the home when the first units arrived.

The fire heavily damaged the living room and the home is considered a total loss, Pechal said.

One adult resident was taken to Scott & White Hospital for medical reasons and two more adults and three children were taken to the hospital for evaluation, he said.

Investigators determined that the preschooler found a cigarette lighter “and lit some items in the living room,” Pechal said.

The child then went to another part of the house to tell an adult about the fire.

The adult tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the flames, Pechal said.

The home did have a working smoke alarm, he said.

KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 259093441 -
Gray Television, Inc.