CRAWFORD (January 16, 2013)—Neighbors who noticed smoke coming from a nearby home were credited Wednesday morning with helping save an elderly couple from the blaze.
Crawford firefighters were sent just before 7:30 a.m. Wednesday to a structure fire on the far eastern side of the city.
Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the home and called for help, then went to the house to make sure the occupants got out.
James Ana and Earl Booker were at home when the fire broke out but were able to escape the blaze without injury.
Very shortly after the first units arrived at 185 S. Ave. N, Crawford units requested help from both McGregor and Valley Mills.
The single-story, wood frame house suffered significant damage from fire and smoke but firefighters had the blaze knocked down quickly.
Crews still were at the scene after 8 a.m. clearing the house of smoke and checking for hot spots.
The Booker’s have family members living in the area and were going to stay with them.
Firefighters at the scene said they believe a wood-burning stove overheated and caught the ceiling on fire.