Autopsy: Man Choked To Death In Roach-Eating Contest

MIAMI (November 26, 2012)--An autopsy found that a Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year.

The report released Monday says Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach, Fla., died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."

Lab tests for drugs came back negative.

The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami.

The grand prize was a python.

Archbold became ill shortly after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 180870051 - kwtx.com/a?a=180870051