ATLANTA (December 3, 2012)—Nearly 50 students and adults were taken to hospitals Monday after 500 students were evacuated from an Atlanta elementary school because of concerns about carbon monoxide in the building, authorities said.
Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel told The Associated Press that 42 students and six adults were taken to area hospitals Monday morning.
McDaniel said Atlanta firefighters found high and unsafe levels of carbon monoxide near a furnace at Finch Elementary School, on the city's southwest side.
Firefighters responded to the scene shortly after 8 a.m., after reports that people were unconscious at the school.
McDaniel said firefighters found people sickened, but no one was unconscious.
Video from WSB-TV showed images of rescue crews carrying young children, strapped to gurneys with oxygen masks on their faces.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.