Authorities Investigate Deadly Mall Carbon Monoxide Leak

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (February 23, 2014) Authorities are investigating a carbon monoxide leak at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island that left a restaurant manager dead and sent two-dozen other people to hospitals.

The investigation is focused on the Legal Sea Foods restaurant, whose manager, Steven Nelson, 55, died as a result of the leak Saturday.

Nelson was found dead in the basement on Saturday night.

Officials say an autopsy will to determine the cause of his death.

Authorities say at least 27 others were taken to five area hospitals.

All but a few were treated and later released.

Officers who responded Saturday to a report that a woman had fallen and hit her head at the restaurant started to feel lightheaded and nauseated and suspected a carbon monoxide leak.

On Sunday authorities said a faulty water heater flue pipe caused the leak.

The fumes were circulated in the basement by the restaurant’s ventilation systems, Huntington Chief Fire Marshal Terence McNally said.

The company has been issued a citation for defective equipment.

McNally said the flue pipe will have to be repaired before the restaurant can reopen.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246774251 - kwtx.com/a?a=246774251
Gray Television, Inc.