SANTA MARIA, Brazil (January 30, 2013)--A lawyer who represents the owner of the nightclub in southern Brazil where 235 people died in a fire last weekend says his client "regrets it very much," but insisted he was only partly to blame.
Attorney Jader Marques says club co-owner Elissandro Spohr called the tragedy "a succession of errors made by the whole country."
Speaking to the Associated Press by phone on Wednesday, Marques said "my client's responsibility is having trusted too much in the inspectors and in those responsible for the construction."
Police say the fire early Sunday at the Kiss nightclub appears to have started when a band lit flares, which ignited inflammable foam on the ceiling.
Police also said the fire extinguisher was faulty and the club had no sprinklers or working emergency exit.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.