NEW YORK (July 12, 2013)--Fumes from two-dozen bug bombs that were stored inside a building in New York City’s Chinatown sparked an explosion and fire that injured a dozen people, fire officials said.
Three of those injured in the incident Thursday remained in serious condition at hospitals Friday.
Nine others were hurt, including four firefighters.
Fire officials said Friday that they believe the fire started in a first-floor beauty salon and said it was accidental.
Officials are investigating reports that as many as 20 of the bombs had been set off at once.
The building had some open code violations and previous violations for rotting floors and unstable structure.