MINNEAPOLIS (November 6, 2012)--A Minnesota man and his wife starved their 8-year-old adopted son so severely his bones protruded and his brain atrophied, authorities say.
A criminal complaint filed last week charges Mona Hauer and Russell Hauer of North Mankato with six felonies, including neglect and malicious punishment of a child.
The complaint says the boy weighed less than 35 pounds when he was taken to the hospital.
Authorities allege he was given a liquid-only diet, and an alarm was installed on his door so he wouldn't steal food.
He told authorities he had taken rotting food from a compost site because he was hungry.
The adoptive mother told authorities they put the boy on a liquid diet because he threw up his food.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.