MONTEZUMA CREEK, Utah (November 18, 2013) Dozens of students and educators were receiving medical treatment Monday after a natural gas leak at an elementary school in southeastern Utah, the district’s superintendent said.
San Juan School District Superintendent Douglas Wright said he didn’t know the condition of those receiving medical attention.
Wright said there were no reports of fatalities at the Montezuma Creek school, which is on the Navajo Reservation about 15 miles west of the Colorado border.
He said the entire school was evacuated and students and staff were moved to a nearby high school.
The superintendent says it appears the leak occurred around 8 a.m. Monday as people arrived at the school and before classes started.
He says it appears the leak was caused by a water heater with a blocked ventilation system.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.