DARWIN, Australia (April 26, 2013)--A field hockey player died after he was bitten by a venomous king brown snake in Australia's tropical Northern Territory and then went for a run.
Fairfax Newspapers reported Friday that Karl Berry, 26, was cleaning up at Marrara Hockey Centre in Darwin on Tuesday when he picked up a snake, which he thought was a nonvenomous python, and threw it into the bushes.
Berry was bitten on the hand but did not realize the bite was poisonous and went on a 1.2-mile training run before collapsing.
St. John's Ambulance operations manager Craig Garraway was quoted as saying Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived, but he took as long as 15 minutes to mention the bite.
Berry, captain of the Commerce-Pints team, died Wednesday.
Garraway said the run pumped the venom around his system faster.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.