CHICAGO (January 7, 2012)--A Chicago medical examiner says a lottery winner was fatally poisoned with cyanide just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in winnings from a $1 million ticket.
Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina said a limited exam initially found Urooj Khan died of natural causes, but a relative asked for further investigation.
A full toxicology test revealed Khan ingested a deadly amount of cyanide, and his death was re-classified as a homicide.
Khan died on July 20, just as he was about to collect the lump sum option on a $1 million win.
He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven near his home in West Rogers Park, a neighborhood on Chicago's North Side.
Cina said Monday it's likely that Khan's body will be exhumed as part of the investigation into his death.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.