Lottery Winner Fatally Poisoned Just Before Collecting Winnings

CHICAGO (January 7, 2012)--A Chicago medical examiner says a lottery winner was fatally poisoned with cyanide just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in winnings from a $1 million ticket.

Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina said a limited exam initially found Urooj Khan died of natural causes, but a relative asked for further investigation.

A full toxicology test revealed Khan ingested a deadly amount of cyanide, and his death was re-classified as a homicide.

Khan died on July 20, just as he was about to collect the lump sum option on a $1 million win.

He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven near his home in West Rogers Park, a neighborhood on Chicago's North Side.

Cina said Monday it's likely that Khan's body will be exhumed as part of the investigation into his death.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185916281 - kwtx.com/a?a=185916281