SALT LAKE CITY (August 14, 2014) Police are reviewing video footage and interviewing staff from a restaurant in South Jordan, Utah, where a woman drank sweet tea that had been laced with an industrial cleaning chemical, severely burning her mouth and throat.
Investigators hope videos from inside Dickey's Barbecue Pit will reveal how the chemical known as lye ended up in a jug with sweet tea, South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler said Thursday.
Winkler says investigators also are interviewing employees who worked that day or in the weeks before.
The 67-year-old woman was eating at the restaurant Sunday when she poured a glass of tea from the beverage bar.
Jan Harding cannot talk and has not improved since arriving to a Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit Sunday.
She remains in critical condition.
Winkler says it appears to be an accident, though authorities haven't made a final determination.
He says the woman is the only victim.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.