DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (October 8, 2012)—Edward Archbold, 32, the winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida, died shortly after he downed dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said.
The grand prize in Friday night's contest was a live python.
The Broward County sheriff's office says in a news release that it is waiting for an autopsy to determine the official cause of death.
The news release Monday said Archbold became ill soon after winning and collapsed in front of the Ben Siegel Reptile Store where the contest was held.
The store is in Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami.
Archbold was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police say several contestants ate insects, but no one else became ill.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.