Man Dies After Winning Cockroach-Eating Contest

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (October 8, 2012)—Edward Archbold, 32, the winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida, died shortly after he downed dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said.

The grand prize in Friday night's contest was a live python.

The Broward County sheriff's office says in a news release that it is waiting for an autopsy to determine the official cause of death.

The news release Monday said Archbold became ill soon after winning and collapsed in front of the Ben Siegel Reptile Store where the contest was held.

The store is in Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami.

Archbold was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police say several contestants ate insects, but no one else became ill.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173188701 - kwtx.com/a?a=173188701
Gray Television, Inc.