School Carbon Monoxide Leak Leaves 28 Students Hospitalized

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (January 15, 2013)—Twenty-eight students spent the night in a hospital after carbon monoxide leaked at their Nashville private school.

Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV that students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms.

Officials decided to cancel classes.

After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school, where the kindergarten and first-grade classes are located.

The students were admitted to the hospital and put on oxygen overnight.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.

KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 186946801 -
Gray Television, Inc.