NASHVILLE, Tenn. (January 15, 2013)—Twenty-eight students spent the night in a hospital after carbon monoxide leaked at their Nashville private school.
Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV that students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms.
Officials decided to cancel classes.
After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.
Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school, where the kindergarten and first-grade classes are located.
The students were admitted to the hospital and put on oxygen overnight.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.