Security Stepped Up In New Orleans After Bourbon St. Shooting

NEW ORLEANS (July 4, 2014) After a deadly shooting earlier this week on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, state officials are redeploying 50 state troopers and public safety officers to help with law enforcement there, starting over the holiday weekend

Gov. Bobby Jindal has signed off on the plan, Louisiana State Police Col. Mike Edmonson said.

Edmonson said the contingent has been assigned to work with the New Orleans Police Department in whatever capacity needed.

Edmonson says the extra uniformed presence will be in the city for the July 4th weekend to help with the Essence Festival and will stay through Labor Day.

Ten people were shot Sunday in the city's French Quarter, one of whom died.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu had asked for the assignment of 100 permanent troopers.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265828151 - kwtx.com/a?a=265828151