HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (October 11, 2012)--A resident who was trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch may have sparked a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex, authorities say.
Fire Chief Jim Kohsel said the resident evidently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday.
The flames spread to the roof and Kohsel says eight apartments were destroyed and others were damaged.
Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe, but no residents were injured.
Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.
The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.