CANBERRA, Australia (December 21, 2o012)--A 3-year-old Australian boy was lucky to escape unharmed after his collection of nine eggs that he found in his yard hatched into a slithering tangle of deadly snakes.
Reptile expert Trish Prendergast said the young wildlife enthusiast Kyle Cummings could have been killed if he had handled the eastern brown snakes, the world's most venomous species on land after Australia's inland taipan.
Kyle found the eggs a few weeks ago at his home in Queensland state, she said.
He had no idea what kind of eggs they were.
He put the eggs into a food container and stashed them in his closet, where his mother found them Monday.
Seven of the eggs hatched, but the snakes remained trapped in the container.
Prendergast released the snakes into the wild.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.