WOODBURY, N.J. (June 13, 2013)--A New Jersey homeowner's battle against bedbugs led to a house fire.
A county spokeswoman says the homeowner in the southern New Jersey town of Woodbury was using a space heater, a hair dryer and a heat gun Tuesday to try to kill the pests in a second-floor bedroom when the combination accidentally sparked a fire.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says very high, sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but raising the temperature with the thermostat or space heaters won't do the job.
Special equipment is needed, the EPA says.
Woodbury Fire Marshal Joseph Buono told WPVI-TV in nearby Philadelphia that quick Internet remedies for killing bedbugs are a "catastrophe in the making."
He said those afflicted with the pests should "call the professionals."
The homeowner was hospitalized with unspecified injuries.
He wasn't identified.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.