BORGER (July 4, 2012)--A 73-year-old Panhandle man died in an apartment fire after his cigarette ignited his home oxygen supply.
Authorities identified the man who died Sunday afternoon in the fire in Borger as Kenneth Herin.
Preliminary autopsy results showed that the initial flash fire burned his throat and lungs.
Borger Fire Marshal Jerry Langwell said investigators have not yet determined exactly how the cigarette ignited the oxygen.
Langwell says that the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived, but Herin was dead.
"Smoking while on oxygen is just never, never ever a good idea,” Langwell said.