SAN BENITO, Texas (January 31, 2013)--A 7-year-old San Benito girl who collapsed at her elementary school choked to death on a balloon, according to preliminary autopsy results.
The autopsy showed that Ruby Ramirez died of asphyxiation, police said.
Detective Rogelio Banda said police are trying to find out where she got the balloon.
The child's mother was at the school to pick her up Monday afternoon and saw her playing with other children.
The Rev. Jay De La Cruz, who's a spokesman for the family, said Ruby's mother turned away for a moment to talk to a friend, but didn't see Ruby when she turned back around.
Then she saw Ruby on the ground.
The first-grader died at a hospital Tuesday.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.