CLIFTON, TX--(June 5,2012) A mother and grandmother watched in horror as their family home caught on fire with a five year old inside home alone.
The women were working in a restaurant next door when they saw the flames.
"we got done prepping and stepped out on the porch and smelled something like plastic burning and noticed there was smoke coming from the top of my roof," Theresa Carrier said.
Theresa and her daughter Jessica Bonds left her restaurant only to find her house on fire.
"There were flames shooting out of the windows and people stopping everywhere," Carrier said.
Jessica ran in immediately looking for her five year old son, who was inside the house when the fire began.
"I ran outside and made sure he was ok and then my mom was getting the fire extinguisher and I ran back with her to try and do something about that," Bonds said.
What's left now is a charred mess. All of Theresa's clothes and valuables...gone.
Now homeless, the only place Theresa has to turn is her restaurant "The Gourmet Grill," which has been lauded by food critics and the community of Clifton.
"The Gourmet Grill" will now serve as Theresa's home until she can find a permanent place to stay.
"We can't live in the house until it is completely repaired because none of the utilities can be turned on and everything is covered with soot," Carrier said.
But Theresa and Jessica aren't letting this setback phase them. They were closed today, but will open again on Monday.
The only thing they ask from the community is to keep coming to the gourmet grill.
"Our whole life is this restaurant," Bonds said.
Embracing now more than ever the Latin phrase hanging over the Gourmet Grill's door: "The harder the struggle, the more glorious the triumph."