FORT HOOD (November 11, 2009)—Fort Hood officials said Wednesday 15 people wounded in last week's shooting rampage remained hospitalized
Four are in intensive care and 11 are in general wards, post officials said Wednesday.
Twelve soldiers and one civilian died in the shooting.
Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, who’s accused of spraying Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Center with more than 100 bullets Thursday before civilian police officers shot him, is recovering, under guard, at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.
Hasan has instructed Brooke Army Medical Center officials not to release any additional information about his condition.
He was listed in stable condition Monday.
Meanwhile, 1st Sgt. James McLeod told reporters Wednesday the care packages that are being sent to the wounded are appreciated.
That gesture, McLeod said, makes those injured in the shooting melee feel their friends and neighbors appreciate their sacrifices.
Spec. Gary Cole, one of the first responders and a mental health specialist, told reporters Wednesday the actions of the gunman last Thursday reflect badly on the Army’s mental health community, primarily because Hasan, a psychiatrist, was part of that community.
Ft. Hood officials said Wednesday the post is now in "the eye of the storm" after last week's shootings and said that the last regular news conference they plan in the wake of the deadly shooting last week will be on Thursday.